Thursday 19 April 2018

How to get your Magnolia to bloom!

I can't quite believe it! I finally got my Magnolia to bloom!

I really wanted to have a Magnolia, because I've never had one and I thought it was going to be easy. You just buy one and instantly get pretty blossoms! Some pretty pictures for your Instagram and blog and a beautiful flower to admire. But no, that's not how it goes at all!

First I bought one branch, and I did exactly as they said in the flower shop, room temperatured water, one teaspoon of suger and changing the water every other day. Nothing happened and eventually all the buds were dried out.


But I of course wasn't going to give up this easily so I went to another shop. They also told me that it needed room temperatured water. But they told me not to add any sugar in the water, they said it could prevent the Magnolia from blooming. They also advised me not to change the water too often, that once a week is fine.

So I tried this and it took a really long time! I checked the receipt and it looks like it took one whole month before anything happened! So you need to be really patient.

Also what I find interesting is that only this one bud is blooming, and this bud happened to end up behind a painting, so it got the sunlight trough a white canvas painting. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.. But if it did, it would probably be good to have the Magnolia branches behind curtains and not in direct sunlight.

I hope you found something useful in the instructions I was given.
I think I might try this again next year... but I'm not sure because this was a complete struggle!


Have you ever had a Magnolia? 
How did you take care of it?

2 comments: